Saturday, January 26, 2008

What a Nice Evening

What a truly wonderful evening. Actually nothing out of the ordinary...but oddly, very revelatory. John had basketball games tonight, and for the most part, we usually go. But tonight, the kids and I decided to hang together. We ran to Kohl's and TJ Maxx...then to Market Street. We bought slices of pizza (and mac n/ cheese for Mere) and sat down at the tables. The little area that we sat down at was sparsely filled with a few families, but relatively quiet. Mere and Cam were blessedly happy with their little plates of food....but it was an odd experience for some reason. Normally when we get fast food - it is just that - FAST. Tonight was different. We sat and ate...not really in any hurry to be somewhere else. Of course, Meredith chatted with me thru the whole meal, and Cameron sat happily listening to us (I really think that kid will be a good listener like his Daddy...after all, he's surrounded by 2 girls who love to GAB!). But they were happy tonight.

And the thought hit me...I think that the majority of the time I am with them, I am in 'get where we need to be next' mode. That 'mom' mode that tunes out the emotion and focuses on what 'MUST' be done next. Get your shoes on. Go brush your teeth. Make your bed. Pick up your toys. Hurry and get in the car, we're running late. It 's time for gymnastics...it's time for church...it's time for school....it's time for.................

And I'm embarrased that tonight's slower pace is just not our usual m.o. Oh that's just sad to me...I sit here and think to myself how that must feel to be rushed around all over the place, ALL the time. And after we finished our little meal, we headed home. And when we got here, I resisted the urge to structure the time (that's code for "boss them around") and let them do as they pleased....Mere got out some toys and she wanted to play me with her.....Cam ran all over the house, ran outside in the backyard, chased the dog (notice the theme of running?!) and occasionally wrapped his sweet little arms around me before he took off again.

And at the end of the night, there was peace. No, the dishes aren't done yet (what else is new, anyway?!), but my kids had some down time. Time apparently that I need to build into the week more often. I think moms (unless I'm the only one here!) get so caught up in what 'needs' to be done that we don't stop and let the 'nothing' happen. We're so afraid that we might let something go undone, that the world will stop. I have a feeling that my kids will remember more what I did WITH them than what I did in the kitchen. Lesson learned. Posting now, and heading to bed...happily and peacefully.

4 comments:

carla's gateway said...

I love the new "name" and layout! beautiful my sweet lady. Neat to me that the LORD allows me to discover these little tidbits of peace just when I need them most. Thank You Jesus! I'm glad your evening was so special, and I pray more for the 4 of you. You know the true definition of "peace" is? Shalom? well, 4 Hebrew letters meaning "one who has the authority to come against the one who creates chaos"... isn't that just WOW!! not necessarily the meaning we assume for "peace", but nevertheless, God's kind of "shod with the gospel of peace" sorta deal! Athority, coming against chaos, ... ohhh, better close before I preach! love you,

Ashley said...

Great post! It was so nice to meet you guys at the Bowmans yesterday.

Amy said...

Are y'all alive over there? I worry when your cars don't move for two days. I'm assuming you're sick and quarantined. Call me if you need anything!! I've got extra popcorn if you run out. :)

carla's gateway said...

I LIKE Odela... cute, Aledo backwards. Is everyone good at your house? This crazy "facebook" thing is sooooo funny to me. I like the quick response turnover. love you my precious Lowe family! c