Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Chicken


There is a phenomenon going on at my house that I must bring light to. It is a mystery that I cannot understand, although some conspiracy theories are beginning to emerge. I am fairly certain there are forces greater than me at work here.


Let me explain. I have health conscious issues that gravitate me toward lean meats, healthy choices. Fish is wonderful, pork is good (except for this one time that i really screwed it up...), and of course, our diet needs CHICKEN. Chicken. White meat is one of the best things you can do to prevent colon cancer. (as well as high-fiber diets). Chicken should not be a big deal, should it? Grilled chicken, baked chicken, pan-cooked, fajitas.......CHICKEN!


Now for the phenomenon going on.....It seems that my family, dear husband and oldest daughter, primarily, can SENSE the nights when Chicken is on the menu. It's like they know - they have this internal alarm that goes off - CHICKEN TONIGHT! IT'S BEEN A WHILE! CHICKEN!!!!!! I BET SHE'S COOKING CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Let me prove my point. A few weeks ago, as we were leaving my daughter's gymnastic's practice, John pops up and says, "Hey, I think Fuddruckers sounds good for dinner. What did you have planned for dinner?" Chicken, I say. "Well, how about I (John) treat everyone to Fuddrucker's?" Off to Redmeatville we go. (Let me reiterate, i have NO aversion to Hamburgers or Fuddruckers. Don't sue me, Fuddrucker's. It's wonderful...follow me here...).


Then, last night. I had chicken in the fridge, marinating, to grill with veggies. The kids and I went swimming....and on the way home..........Meredith pops up and asks for "Chopstick House". Chopstick House, aka, Pei Wei. She loves Pei Wei. We all do. Who doesn't?!! So, we get home, and she proceeds to tell Daddy that she wants Pei Wei for dinner. "Please Daddy, please. I realllllllyyyy want Chopstick house!!" He tells her that sounds great...."Honey, what did we have planned tonight?" Guess what we had for dinner last night?......


There is 'fowl' play involved. I'm convinced. I'm thinking that it's the Chicken's getting back at the Cow's from the Chick-fil-A commercials...."Eat Mor Cow"........Or it's a dark spirit that doesn't want my family to eat white meat. Or it's that my husband hates chicken.

1 comment:

Emileigh Latham said...

How funny and strange! But I have to say that I think Pei Wei should change its name to Chopstick House. It sounds better and much more fun. ;) Very cute Mere.